Prof. Daniel N. Erasmus
Senior International Tax Attorney & Advisor
Practicing Attorney, Republic of South Africa, admitted 1989
Enrolled Agent in US, Federal Tax Advisor, Preparer & Representative before IRS for taxpayers in all 50 US States, admitted 2010
US Tax Court Practitioner in all 50 US States, admitted May 18, 2011
Master Tax Practitioner (South African Institute of Tax Practitioners)
Adjunct Professor, Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego, CA, USA & www.theIITF.org
Contact: +1.561.568.7115 | +126.96.36.1998.8422
Daniel N. Erasmus has just been appointed an Adjunct Professor in International Tax Planning & Tax Risk Management at the Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego, California & as Professor for www.theIITF.org based out od South Africa (affiliated to TJSL). He has been invited to teach in his field of expertise this fall, in an American Bar Association approved LLM course, via the Internet, real time online. His expertise and reputation has gained recognition in Africa and the USA.
He has also recently become a member of the US National Association of Enrolled Agents and the US National Association of Tax Practitioners (#30048847).
- US National Association of Tax Practitioners (#30048847)
- US National Association of Enrolled Agents;
- EA – US Federal Tax Advisor, Preparer & Representative before the IRS;
- US Tax Court Practitioner;
- Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Law), University of the Witwatersrand;
- Bachelor Procurationes (Law), University of South Africa;
- Higher Diploma in Tax Law, University of the Witwatersrand;
- Candidate for PhD. University of KwaZulu-Natal;
- Admitted to practice as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa;
- Master Tax Practitioner (SA);
- adjunct Professor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law – Immigration & International Estate Planning (AAFM Certification);
- Professor at www.theIITF.org (affiliated to TJSL);
- Tax Executives Institute 2009 International Tax Course;
- Tax Training at Deloitte.
In some detail
Chairman of TRM Services, Prof Daniel N. Erasmus pioneered the advancement of taxpayers’ rights in matters of taxation, ultimately developing a system of tax risk management to circumvent the adversarial nature of tax controversies with tax authorities. He is a world-wide leader in knowledge and skills in this area of taxation, having taught thousands of delegates at workshops the principles of tax risk management, and how to implement these principles in MNE’s.
Daniel started his tax career in the mid 1980′s at Deloitte & Touche. Shortly thereafter he joined the tax department of Hofmeyr Attorneys, where he was soon appointed at that stage as the youngest equity director of that firm. After a number of years, he left to form his own tax law firm, attracting various multinational clients, and later headed the tax department of former 100 year old law firm Moss Morris. He was the chairman of the Law Society of South Africa’s Tax Matters Committee for more than seven years, and still is a member of that committee after it merged with the exchange control committee (serving as chairman and member for more than 10 years). He is co-founder and former lecturer of the University of Johannesburg’s Diploma in Tax Practice program, and co-authored VAT for Lawyers: A Guideline; CGT: A Guideline, Lexis Nexis Butterworth’s Exchange Control & Income Tax Amnesty Handbook; The 7 Habitual Tax Mistakes, Lexis Nexis (available on amazon.com); Tax Intelligence (available on amazon.com); Matthew Bender, Tax Guide to South Africa Chapter (co-authored); Lexis Nexis, Company Guide to South Africa(co-authored); Tax Risk Management: South Africa Chapter (co-authored)(available from www.ibfd.org).
Daniel was on a sub-committee on the Katz Commission of Inquiry into Taxation in South Africa, and has been a member of the VAT technical committee for SARS. He is also the founder of the dedicated tax website: http://www.taxtalk.co.za and lectures extensively on various specialist subjects in the field of taxation in South Africa, US and abroad.
As a result of his courses he has guided and also consulted many leading MNE’s, including SABMiller plc – in South Africa, Africa, East Europe and has been approached to assist in Western Europe, Old Mutual plc, Accenture, Nampak Ltd, AECI Ltd, Sasol Ltd, WBHO Ltd, Anglo American plc, Barloworld Ltd, The SA Post Office Ltd, Group 5 Ltd, Vodacom Ltd, Tsogo Sun Group, ABSA (part of the Barclays Group), Edcon, Xstrata, MTN and other prominent companies.
- Practicing attorney admitted to practice as an attorney in the High Court and Supreme Court of Appeal, South Africa, 1989.
- US Tax Court Practitioner, 2011.
- Former presiding officer of the Tax Board for hearing Tax Appeals, 1993 – 1998;
- Tax Court, South Africa;
- High Court;
- Supreme Court of Appeal;
- US Tax Court.
- Immigration/Emigration and International Tax;
- Tax Audits, Controversy & Litigation;
- Tax Risk Management for MNE’s internationally;
- Corporate: Tax Planning & Compliance;
- International Tax;
- Transfer Pricing;
- Sales & Use Tax, and Value Added Tax;
- Capital Gains Tax;
- Exchange Control & Tax Amnesties;
- Constitutional Law & Tax;
- Structured Finance;
- Mergers & Acquisitions;
- Venture Capital;
- International Mutual & Hedge Funds;
- Restructuring Businesses.
- Associate Member of American Bar Association (Tax & Admin Law Chapters);
- Member of the National Association of Enrolled Agents in the US;
- US National Association of Tax Practitioners (#30048847);
- Law Societies of South Africa (LAWSA);
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces;
- Registered Tax Practitioner with the South African Revenue Services;
- LAWSA Ad Hoc Exchange Control & Tax Matters Committee (former chairperson for 7 years);
- Registered as a Tax Practitioner with SARS;
- South African Institute of Tax Practitioners, Master Tax Practitioner;
- previously Tax Executives Institute;
Daniel has authored (or co-authored) the following books, research papers, articles and academic programs:
- Tax Intelligence: The 7 Habitual Tax Mistakes Made by Companies
- IBDF’s TRM: From Risk to Opportunity – South African Chapter
- Lexis Nexis’ book: 7 Habitual Tax Mistakes
- Strategy Development Handbook (co-authored)
- The textbook: VAT for Lawyers: A Guideline
- The textbook: CGT: A Guideline
- Lexis Nexis, Exchange Control & Tax Amnesty Handbook
- Matthew Bender, Tax Guide to South Africa Chapter (co-authored)
- Lexis Nexis, Company Guide to South Africa(co-authored)
- 2009 Global Tax Audit and Controversy Risk Management Report
- Tax Risk Management Policies & Procedures
- Tax Risk Management Strategy: An Analytical Approach
- Various Papers through SSRN – Click here to view all
- Advanced Diploma in Tax Administration
- Into Africa – International Tax & Transfer Pricing – goto www.theIITF.org for details
- International Tax & Tax Treaties I
- Higher Diploma in Tax
- Taxpayers’ Rights
- Tax Risk Management
- Transfer Pricing
- Tax Risk Review Boardroom Series
- The Adventures of Wittle & Tittle Mouse (under the pseudonym: Dine Notbly)